Tuesday, September 4, 2012

And Forgive Us Our Trespasses


The Lord's Prayer. It seemed like I learned how to recite it before I learned to walk. I memorized it before I ever understood it. I never questioned it, nor really thought much about it. It was just something I had learned, something I prayed before going to bed and something that I recited at church. It's what a good Catholic girl ought to do.

For those of you not familiar with the Lord's Prayer:

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
"And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors" - lately, this verse has been really messing me up.
How would you feel if God forgave you the way you forgive others?
This puts a whole new spin on that forgiveness thing, doesn't it? Do you know why God makes forgiveness such a big deal? Perhaps it is for the other person's benefit. If someone has come to you begging for forgiveness, then - yes, they will certainly feel much better if you forgive them. But what happens when someone hurts you and they DON'T ask for forgiveness. What if they don't think they have done anything wrong at all?

"That's not right!" you say, and I agree. "Why should I forgive THEM?" you ask. Because God tells you to. Why would He tell you to forgive someone who has harmed you? Perhaps it is because anger, bitterness, resentment are all emotions that lead to sinful behaviour. In fact, anger gives a foothold to the devil! (Ephesians 4:27)


Have you ever been angry with someone for a long time, maybe even years? Have you then talked to them only to find out they had no idea you were angry? You have spent all this time with all these emotions eating you up inside only to discover the other person has been carrying on with their life as though nothing was wrong!

So many times in life someone says or does something that offends us, but like most people we hold grudges instead of settling the matter right then and there. Then, like a cancer, these ugly emotions fester and grow. Have you ever been so angry that you felt sick to your stomach, or ended up with a horrible headache? Perhaps God asks us to forgive others not just for their benefit but for ours as well. 


I know what it feels like to hold on to resentment and unforgiveness. I know that it not only destroys relationships with others, but my relationship with God as well! I am so thankful that I am now a student of God's Word and learning the Truth.

Yes, it is true folks - the Truth will set you free, in every sense of the word!

* * * * * * * * * *

Dear Lord, we live in a world that seems to celebrate sinful behaviour. I am so thankful that You are leading me to Your Truth and It will set me free! I pray for the strength and courage to forgive others the way You forgive me. I want to be a bright light in a fallen world. I pray that when people see my actions, they will see You. I pray these things in Jesus name, Amen.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Kristina for pointing out an important step in FORGIVING others. It's NOT a choice in whether we forgive someone for what they did (or you thought they did. It's a principle of LOVE and forgiveness 'hangs' on love; like "curtains hang on a curtain rod." And I've asked myself many times, "Lord, why should I forgive them after what they did? When they ask forgiveness first, then I'll forgive them." Those thoughts I've come to learn is "FOR-SALE-NESS" and not FORGIVENESS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your analogies, both the curtains and the “for-sale-ness”. There are times when I do still struggle with forgiveness. Have I been guilty of "for-sale-ness"? Unfortunately, many times I have. Thank God He is continually working in me and the more I receive His great love, the easier it becomes to give it to others.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is intended to be a safe place where people can talk about their faith or learn more about Jesus Christ. It is not intended to be a debate club. Any offensive or inappropriate posts will be deleted.